I do not intend this to be primarily a political article, but I suspect some will say that it is. I can live with that. Above all, I want this article to be fair and reasonable—regardless of what anyone’s politics are.
I have been saddened as I have watched the nomination process of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. I believe our entire nation should be saddened by this as well.
Whatever side of the political spectrum you find yourself, can we at least all agree with this: ANYONE CAN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ANYONE! And can we all admit that there are some politicians (on both sides of the aisle) who will do just about anything to win—even if they have to resort to dirty tricks or lying?
Perhaps it is because I am a pastor that I am so sensitive to this. I can only maintain my career as long as my reputation is unsullied. I am very aware that even if I live an upright life, someone could come forward and falsely accuse me of selling drugs, or being immoral, or stealing, or whatever. And if enough people hated me for what I believed, it indeed could happen. Yes, more than one person could lie about me if they hate me enough, or if they hate what I stand for. Should any of these accusations get any kind of traction, my career is over. And If someone were to falsely accuse me of having committed some gross sin 35 years ago, how could I even defend myself against that???
I Timothy 5:19 says:
“ Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.”
Why is this clear instruction in the scriptures? Because ANYONE CAN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ANYONE!
I believe that Brett Kavanaugh is a good and decent man whom people are trying to destroy for political reasons. I believe this for the following reasons:
- I have an instinctive mistrust of Dr. Ford’s accusations against Bret Kavanaugh, as she waited over 30 years to come forward with this accusation. And let me say (at the risk of being accused of being “politically incorrect,”) Just because someone accuses someone else of attempted rape, does NOT mean that I have to believe the accusation! I need evidence. Why is someone’s accusation alone not enough? Because ANYONE CAN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ANYONE!
- I especially suspect the timing of all of this. Although Senator Feinstein knew about the accusation earlier, she didn’t bring any of this up until the Senate was just about to vote. It smells to me that this was a last ditch effort to delay and hopefully derail a nomination with a public smear.
- Dr. Ford has absolutely NOTHING to corroborate her story. Clearly, this does not mean that she is lying. But it does leave open the possibility that she might be lying (or mis-remembering).
- Dr. Ford is a known Trump hater and would have a motive to make a false accusation.
- There is reasonable evidence that disproves some of Dr. Ford’s claims.
In this polarized political climate, if we allow this kind of thing to derail a nominee to the Supreme Court, we will see something like this circus EVERY SINGLE TIME someone is nominated, and the minority party doesn’t like it.
I am fully aware that I will be accused of being insensitive. I can already smell that one coming! I am not. I simply want an up or down vote on putting Judge Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court. I can live with the results of a fair vote. So let the circus stop and the voting begin!
For REAL encouragement, go to http://crashingintoheaven.com/mybook/